How To Stay Safe On The Roads This Winter
Winter brings heavy rain, wind, fog, ice, snow, cold days and long, dark nights – the perfect recipe for tricky and hazardous road conditions.
Driving in these kind of conditions can be extremely challenging, even those with years of experience behind the wheel can get caught out in bad weather, so it’s important to stay alert and drive to the conditions of the road.
Whilst the best advice during the winter months would be to stay indoors in front of the fire with a mug of hot chocolate, this isn’t always possible as daily commutes to and from work, the school run or trips to the shop for groceries mean we have to venture out and deal with whatever the weather has in store for us, so here’s just a simple guide from FLEXED to ensure you stay safe on the roads this winter in your lease car.
- Keep your lights, mirrors & windows clean and clear of ice and snow.
- Ensure the lights are all working correctly and the wipers are in good working order.
- Check your tyres to make sure they have plenty of tread depth and the pressure is correct.
- Add anti-freeze to the radiator and use winter additive in the windscreen washer bottles.
- Keep your lease car clean to remove dirt and grime that builds up during the winter months.
- Make sure the fuel tank is kept full just in case of long delays.
- Have an emergency winter kit ready to keep in your lease car – this should include snow/ice scraper, de-icer, hi-vis vest, torch & batteries, winter boots, snow shovel, spade, blankets, extra warm clothing, sunglasses, drinks and snacks, first aid kit, hazard warning triangle, jump leads, tow rope, spare bulbs and a fully charged mobile phone.
Be Prepared for Bad Weather
- Do I really need to go out? If you can avoid going out, do so.
- If not, check the local and national weather forecasts beforehand and listen to local and national radio stations for more travel information that may help.
- Stick to the main roads, as these are more likely to have been gritted and cleared because of heavy use.
- Let someone know if you’re planning a long journey – tell them where you’re going and inform those who are expecting you as to what time you should arrive.
- Clear any snow or ice from the windows, mirrors, registration number plates and the roof before setting off.
How To Drive Safely
- Set off earlier than normal in case of delays and to give yourself more time.
- Drive slowly and keep to the speed limits.
- Keep a greater distance between yourself and the vehicle in front.
- Be extra careful on tree-lined roads, as the roads may be slippery and icy all day as the sun can’t get through the trees to help thaw the roads.
- Ensure your mobile phone is fully charged and carry an in-car charger with you just in case.
Driving Safely In The Snow
- Drive slowly, allowing for extra room to slow down and stop & keep to the speed limit.
- Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin.
- Manoeuvre gently to avoid harsh braking and acceleration.
- If braking on snow or ice, get into a low gear earlier than normal, let the speed drop and use the brake pedal gently.
- Ease off the accelerator if you do start to skid but DO NOT brake suddenly.
What To Do In Case Of Emergency
- If you have to stop and get help, ensure other road users can see you and your vehicle.
- Stand away from the road in a safe place and call for help using your mobile phone or a roadside emergency telephone.
- Be aware of your location – on the hard shoulder, the numbers on the marker posts can be used to locate your whereabouts.
- Stay with your lease car until help arrives.
Fortunately, when you lease a car from Flexed, breakdown cover is included as part of your lease contract!
Also included within our 28 day rental is:
- UK Road Tax
- Manufacturer Warranty
- Vehicle Maintenance
- 1,250 Miles A Month (additional mileages available)
All that’s left for you to cover is insurance (must be a fully comprehensive insurance policy) and fuel, then you’re ready for the road!
Please click here to find out more about our car leasing services and fantastic offers for both Business and Personal customers, or give us a call on 0800 311 8290.
Drop us a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with a member of our team NOW using our online ‘We Are Here!’ service – we’ll gladly answer any leasing questions you may have.