Will The Ford Fiesta Have Taken The Crown Once Again?
Last year was tough for everyone and especially so for businesses. The first lockdown, which lasted from March to June, saw companies across the country having to close their doors to the public whilst we all had to stay at home and wait to see what happened next. The car industry really struggled, with reports claiming that new car sales fell by almost a third during the year – the biggest decline since 1992.
Lucky for us as a car leasing company specialising in short term leases, we managed to continue working through the pandemic with strict laws and regulations in place to protect our fantastic team and customers. We wanted to be there for anyone looking to lease a new car during these hard times and whilst we opened for less hours with a skeleton staff, we were able to provide key workers and others with the car they needed.
Fortunately for car makers from around the world, they had almost three good months at the start of the year, followed by summer and the beginning of autumn after lockdown eased but come November and we were once again faced with another lockdown – more pressure for the industry to cope with.
What did come as a surprise in 2020, was the positive increase in motorists turning to electric cars, as sales increased by 186% compared to 2019, yet not one all-electric car features in the Top 10 Best Selling Cars list for 2020 and that’s because taken as a whole, volumes were still low.
We might see changes coming over the next few years though, as interesting and exciting new models start arriving, whilst the Government’s proposed plan gets ever nearer, with the ban on the sale of petrol and diesel models due to take effect in 2030.
One question on everyone’s mind when it comes to which cars were the most popular with drivers in the UK in 2020, is whether the Ford Fiesta managed to hold onto its crown for another year or not. To find out, please read on..
Top 10 Best Selling Cars In The UK 2020:
1. Ford Fiesta – once again, this awesome looking car took top spot and continues to feel the love in the UK with motorists. It’s practical, comfortable, spacious and great to drive.
2. Vauxhall Corsa – a good looking supermini that certainly gave the Ford Fiesta a bit of a scare, as it managed to creep into top spot at various times during 2020 but didn’t quite match the same numbers, falling short by less than 3,000 registrations.
3. Volkswagen Golf – it’s always been a big hit with motorists in the UK and continues to prove itself by taking third place. If you love driving a VW Golf, we have a number of different models available for short term leasing or long term rental – please click here to take a closer look.
You could lease the Volkswagen Golf 1.5 TSi Life 5dr Hatch from £429.99 excl. VAT per month based on a 28 day rolling contract – in stock NOW, so call 0800 311 8290 to order yours!
4. Ford Focus – big brother to the Fiesta, it was the second best seller in 2019 but unfortunately last year it missed out on a podium position place and landed itself at number four. Just like the Fiesta though, it’s a practical family car that’s great to drive.
5. Mercedes-Benz A-Class – it’s unusual for such a premium car to make it into a list like this but last year it became a runaway success and jumped ahead of the Nissan Qashqai. In fact, it was the best selling car in the UK last October!
6. Nissan Qashqai – back in February 2020, it stood in third place but dropped down the ranking over the year to finish in sixth place but is still the most popular compact SUV in the UK.
7. Mini Hatch – it managed to creep up one place compared to 2019 but was in fifth place in June before dropping down to seventh overall. The Mini Electric was launched last year and it’s believed the Mini Hatch may shrink in size in the future.
8. Volkswagen Polo – a stylish supermini that’s managed to hold steady over the last year. It will probably never be as popular as the VW Golf but it’s a great car that’s practical and easy to drive.
9. Ford Puma – a very nice looking compact SUV that could in the future give the Nissan Qashqai a run for its money.
10. Volvo XC40 – the baby SUV in the Volvo family is a practical, safe, sensible and comfortable car that managed to scrape its way into tenth place, beating off the BMW 1-series.
Here at Flexed, we have a wide range of Volvo models to choose from including various V60, V90, XC40, XC60 and XC90 models. Please click here to see every Volvo model we currently have available for short term leasing or long term rental.
You could lease the Volvo XC40 1.5 T3  Momentum 5dr from £499.99 excl. VAT per month based on a 28 day rolling contract but hurry, as there’s limited stock available – call 0800 311 8290 NOW to order yours!
Drop us a quick email to email@example.com or chat with a member of our team NOW using our online ‘We Are Here!’ service – we’ll gladly answer any leasing questions you may have.