Top Tips On How To Drive Safely In Your Lease Car From FLEXED
Autumn is a beautiful month, with the changing colour of leaves on the trees but once they start to fall and mingle with the wet ground, heavy rain and wind, road surfaces can change considerably and can make for seriously challenging driving conditions.
With this in mind, we wanted to draw your attention to some of the things you can do and watch out for during the Autumn months to ensure your car journey is a safe one.
Keeping your lease car in tip top condition can make all the difference and a quick check just once a week will only take a small amount of your time.
How To Prepare Your Lease Car For Safe Driving This Autumn
- Check the tyre pressure and tread depth regularly.
- Ensure your windscreen wipers are working correctly and replace if worn out – clear, visible windows are vital.
- Keep all lights clean and free from dirt, make sure the bulbs are working correctly and replace immediately if they fail. Adjust your headlights if necessary.
- Check the oil and make sure you’ve enough fuel for the journey.
- Use a good quality screen wash and keep it topped up – keep some spare in the car.
- Antifreeze should be used all year round but is more important during the Autumn/Winter months.
- The sun sits lower in the sky in Autumn, so keep a good pair of sunglasses in your car to help with the sun’s glare and slow down if it dazzles you.
What To Look Out For On The Roads During Autumn
Watch out for leaves on the road – they can make the surface much more slippery, so remember to keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front.
Beware of deer – you might live in an area where deer are present and Autumn is rutting season, so be extra vigilant. Be prepared to make an emergency stop if necessary.
Watch out for ice on the road – whilst it might not be winter just yet, ice may appear on the roads, so remember to keep a safe distance between yourself and the vehicle in front and if black ice has been reported in your area, take extra care.
The danger of sun dazzle – if the sun is in front of you, those driving behind could be affected by glare, so be aware. However, if the sun is behind you, oncoming traffic might be dazzled by the glare, so drive slowly and take extra special care, remembering to wear your sunglasses for improved vision.
Be ready for fog and frost – chilly autumn mornings can include fog which might reduce your vision, so use your fog lights alongside your headlights on low beam. Take extra care when travelling over bridges and overpasses.
What To Keep In Your Car For Emergencies
On the whole, the months of Autumn aren’t generally that cold but cold snaps can and do occur when least expected and could lead to a vehicle breakdown, so if the worst was to happen, we advise keeping the following emergency breakdown kit in your lease car:
- Torch and spare batteries
- De-icer and scraper
- Mobile phone and in-car phone charger, plus a portable battery charger
- Blankets and warm clothing
- A road atlas
- High-vis jacket
- Boots with good grip
- Jump start cables
- First aid kit
- Empty fuel can
- Bottles of water and snacks
- Two reflective warning triangles
- Breakdown provider details (breakdown cover is included with a short term lease from Flexed, so who to contact if the worst was to happen will be provided).
And please remember that the kids are back at school, so be extra careful when driving close to school’s and watch out for children on bicycles or scooters.
Don’t get distracted around Halloween and Bonfire Night, when lots of people will be out and about.
Please click here to find out more about our car leasing services and fantastic offers, or give us a call TODAY on 0800 311 8290.
Drop us a quick email to email@example.com or chat with a member of our team NOW using our online ‘We Are Here!’ service – we’ll gladly answer any leasing questions you may have.