Best MPVs and people carriers to buy in 2016
MPVs and people carriers are often the best option for those looking to invest in a new family car, as these vehicles offer the perfect mixture of space, design and, perhaps most importantly in the 21st century, value for money.
These multipurpose vehicles and people carriers are produced with families in mind; for that reason there are plenty of seating options and, more often than not, the rear seats can be folded away when they are not required. The generous carrying capacity in MPVs means that you can fit in all of the family and still have plenty of room for all your summer holiday luggage.
For those interested in efficiency, the diesel option is often recommended ahead of the petrol, as larger MPVs/people carriers can be petrol guzzlers due to their weight. However, car manufacturers now promise that both petrol and diesel options are low on fuel consumption.
The diesel engine models also offer extra torque, which is an important consideration if you are planning on towing a caravan or trailer with the vehicle.
The following is a list of some of the best MPVs and people carriers of 2016:
- Citroen C4 Picasso – this five-seater sporty MPV is perfect for young families who do not want to compromise on design. It boasts a 537 litre boot but the back seats can be folded to create a whopping 1,709 litre space.
- SEAT Alhambra – this super spacious, seven-seater people carrier is one of the cheaper options but that does not mean it has less to offer. The boot size, with all seven seats in use, is 267 litre, but that jumps to 1,167 litres when the rear seats are folded down.
- Renault Grand Scenic – this revamped, seven-seater model offers 68.9mpg and is one of the best cars for safety according the Euro NCAP safety test. All the rear seats can be folded away to offer extra space.
- Vauxhall Zafira Tourer – with a starting price of £21,000, this MPV is a bit pricier than some of the other choices, but buyers get a lot for their money. It is has all the mod cons of more stylish vehicles but this also has the space, with a 710 litre boot.
- BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer – this luxurious, seven-seater BMW people carrier is available with a range of engine sizes: 216d, 218d, and 220d diesel and 218i and 220i petrol. This is a perfect vehicle for families who want to stand out from the crowd.